Degree Program Profile
Bachelor Degree in
EHEA First Cycle; EQF Level 6
Number of Years/credits
3 years; 180 ECTS
Mode of Study
*All Degree Programmes are planned and organised for full-time students. It is possible, however (without special arrangements), to proceed through the course of study at one's own rhythm. This makes it possible, if necessary, to accommodate employment or other non-university activities or obligations.
Name of Course Director and other contact information
President of the Degree Course Council:
Prof. MASSIMO PASQUALETTI
Department of BIOLOGIA
Internationalization Coordinator (CAI):
Prof. Massimo Dal monte
Language of Teaching
Certificate of completion of Italian upper secondary school or equivalent foreign qualification.
Possible assessment prior knowledge and competences
Obligatory selective/competitive entrance exam (numerus clausus).
Required knowledge and competences support programmes
Students who do not pass the entrance exam are required to take specific courses and/or complete extra reading to prepare for the programme.
The Degree Programme in Biotechnologies has the main objective to prepare students with a solid background in cellular and molecular biology, structural and functional genomics, microbiology, physiological and pathological status, along with a good expertise in mathematics, chemistry and computing. The aim is to have graduates with the ability to plan and employ biotechnological solutions to resolve basic research problems, such as generation and selection of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells to be used as model organisms, production of novel compounds for industries and environment, as well as to design new molecular diagnostic and therapeutic tools. The Degree Program takes into consideration also bioethics rules as well as the economic benefits which may be intrinsically endowed with biotechnological applications, thus enabling the graduates with an overall biotechnological education to adequately enter the work environment.
Key Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Degree Program in Biotechnologies are expected to acquire:
- Essential knowledge of basic biological and biomedical sciences in the perspective of biotechnological exploitation;
- Deep knowledge of functional-structural genomics, DNA recombinant technologies and proteomics to generate both recombinant molecules and organisms and validate their impact on humans and environment ;
- Design novel biopharmaceutical molecules and critically evaluate their effects in vitro and in vivo;
- Understanding of the biochemical and biomolecular basis of physiology and physiopathology processes in animal organisms, humans included;
- Ability to plan and validate biotechnological systems and devices for diagnosis of human diseases ;
- Some ability in organizing scientific research projects for innovative industrial, environmental and biomedical technologies with respect of bioethical implications and economical benefits;
- Basic knowledge of computing tools and computing languages.
Occupational Profile/s of Graduates
The graduates in Biotechnologies may find employment in both private and public laboratories particularly aimed to develop basic and applied research projects with biotechnological purposes. The degree prepares students to exert professional activities in several fields, including:
- Generation of genetically modified organisms to produce new molecules of industrial interest, for environmental protection/preservation;
- Design and production of novel molecules pharmacologically useful;
- Development and validation of recombinant vaccines for the prevention and/or treatment of various types of human diseases;
- Development and validation of molecular diagnostic systems to carry out analyses in the field of genomics, microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, cell biology, and clinical chemistry.
Access to further study
The Laurea Degree in BIOTHECNOLOGIES normally gives direct access to the corresponding Second Cycle degree programme. It also gives access to some other Second Cycle degree programmes, in which case extra work may be necessary for admission.
Assessment methods, examination regulations, and grading
Assessment is normally by means of an oral or written examination; in some cases there are intermediate exams during the course; other elements (participation in discussion, written or oral reports, comment of texts etc. ) are foreseen in specific course units and are described in the Course Unit Profiles.
The grading system for the course units consists of 30 possible points, plus 'lode' (cum laude) in case of excellence. Marks are given by the lecturer on the basis of performance as ascertained in a public examination by a board of at least two teachers. Main exam sessions are held in June/July; September; and January; students may resit exams**. Actual grading curves differ in different degree programmes. The University of Pisa provides an ECTS Grading Table, which shows the actual distribution, of examination and final grades among students of each degree programme, in order to facilitate comparison with other grading systems. ---> Link to ECTS Grading Table
An overall mark is given on occasion of the 'Final Exam', when a written research text is presented and discussed. The final overall mark is calculated on the results of the marks obtained in the single course units and the final exam, and is based on 110 possible points, with the possible further mention of honours ("lode" or cum laude).
**The exam sessions are organised in sessions (the dates vary according to the Department and are published in the Department's academic calendar). In each session there are a certain number of 'appelli' [calls], or dates on which the examination for each course unit may be taken. The 'appelli' are fixed by the teacher. The student chooses which of the appelli he or she wishes to respond to. In most cases it is obligatory to sign up before the specified date.
Requirements (regulations) to obtain the qualification
The final dissertation, to which 6 ECTS credits are allocated, must show that the candidate has critically acquired the knowledge of the above mentioned professional skills.